20170604-020 M47 Patton S56 Medium Tank (HGM) Vienna AT.jpg #7825 M47 Patton 'S56' Medium Tank (HGM) - Vienna (Austria)Thumbnails#1429 M47 Patton Medium Tank (HGM) - Vienna (Austria)
M47 Patton 'S56' Medium Tank at the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) in Vienna (Austria)

The M47 Patton is an American tank, the second tank to be named after General George Smith Patton, commander of the United States Third Army during World War II and one of the earliest American advocates of tanks in battle. It was a further development of the M46 Patton tank. The M47 was the United States Army's and Marine Corps' primary tank, intended to replace the M46 Patton and M4 Sherman medium tanks. The M47 was widely used by United States Cold War allies, both SEATO and NATO countries, and was the only Patton series tank that never saw combat while in US service. Although roughly similar to the later M48s and M60s, these were completely new tank designs. Many different M47 Patton models remain in service internationally. The M47 was the last US tank to have a bow-mounted machine gun in the hull. Production began at the Detroit Tank Arsenal in June 1951 before the M47 was standardized for production in May 1952, the M47 Patton's production ran until November 1953; Detroit built 5481 tanks, and American Locomotive Company (Alco) produced 3095, for a total production run of 8576 M47 Pattons.

In 1957 the Austrian Armed Forces (Österreichisches Bundesheer or ÖBH) introduced 153 Medium Tanks M47 Patton. The Patton was heavily armed, but the consumption of 700 liters premium gasoline per 100 km (under good conditions!) reduced its range and made the vehicle expensive to operate. Therefore the tanks were operated only rarely. Starting in 1972, the M47 turrets were used in Austrias complex bunker systems. As a tank, the type was phased out in the year 1982.

10. Oldtimertreffen im Arsenal "Auf Rädern & Ketten" vom 3. bis 5. Juni 2017 - Heeresgeschichtliches Museum
(10th Classic Car Meeting in the Arsenal "On Wheels & Tracks" from 3 to 5 June 2017 - Museum of Military History)

The Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) is a military history museum located in Vienna, Austria. It claims to be the oldest and largest purpose-built military history museum in the world. Its collection includes one of the world's largest collections of bronze cannons and focuses on Austrian military history from the 16th century to 1945. The "Tank Garden" (Panzergarten), located behind the museum building and usually open to the public from March to October, accommodates the most important combat vehicles of the Austrian Armed Forces from 1955 to the present, with the different types demonstrating the continuous advancement of tank weaponry. The first Austrian tank troops were equipped entirely with vehicles of the occupation powers, such as the M24 Chaffee, the Charioteer, the Centurion and the AMX-13. The museum is located in Vienna's Arsenal, in the Landstraße district, not far from the Belvedere palace.
Exif Metadata
Canon Canon EOS 7D Mark II
f/7.1
18 mm
1/160 s
100
0.7 EV
no, mode: supressed
Maker
Canon
Model
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
GPSLatitude
Array
GPSLongitude
Array
Date Time of Original
2017:06:04 10:19:50
Aperture Number
7.1
Exposure compensation
0.7 EV
Exposure Time
1/160 s
Flash
no, mode: supressed
ISO
100
Focal Length
18 mm
White Balancing
auto
Exposure Mode
auto
Exposure Metering Mode
pattern
Exposure Program
aperture priority