Allis-Chalmers M4 High-Speed Tractor at the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) in Vienna (Austria)
The Allis-Chalmers M4 High-Speed Tractor (M4 HST) was an American tracked artillery tractor from the Second World War. Between 1942 and 1946 the Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company in Milwaukee produced approximately 5500 units of the M4 High-Speed Tractor. The M4 High-Speed Tractor used M4 Sherman tracks, road-wheels and drive sprocket. One variant was designed to tow the 90mm Anti-Aircraft gun, and another was for the 155mm field gun “Long Tom” or 155mm or 8-inch field howitzer. The rear compartment carried the gun crew and other equipment and some later variants included a crane to assist with heavier projectiles. Two types of ammunition boxes were used on all models: a 90mm box with side "tailgates" to access 90mm shells pigeon-holed in the sides, and a combination box for 155mm or 8-inch ammunition. After World War II, many M4s were given to several European armies. In 1955 the newly formed Austrian Armed Forces (Österreichisches Bundesheer or ÖBH) received its complement of M4 tractors to tow the American "Long Tom" field guns of the Artillery Regiments. This M4 made its way from the Normandy landing in 1944 until the end of the war in Austria, after it was part of the American occupational forces and in 1955 was given to the Austrian military where it saw service until 1970. In that year, all remaining M4s were returned to the US Army and shipped back to the United States, where they were auctioned off. In 2007 the vehicle was acquired by a British collector who until 2011 completely rebuilt it, including fitting a brand-new original Waukesha engine. In 2016 the vehicle was acquired by the Traditionsverband Heereskraftfahrwesen (HKFW or Traditional Army Vehicle Association) and brought back to Austria, where it was also restored to its original Austrian army paint scheme with the tactical markings of the Artillery School (AS).
10. Oldtimertreffen im Arsenal "Auf Rädern & Ketten" vom 3. bis 5. Juni 2017 - Heeresgeschichtliches Museum
(10th Classic Car Meeting in the Arsenal "On Wheels & Tracks" from 3 to 5 June 2017 - Museum of Military History)
The Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) is a military history museum located in Vienna, Austria. It claims to be the oldest and largest purpose-built military history museum in the world. Its collection includes one of the world's largest collections of bronze cannons and focuses on Austrian military history from the 16th century to 1945. The "Tank Garden" (Panzergarten), located behind the museum building and usually open to the public from March to October, accommodates the most important combat vehicles of the Austrian Armed Forces from 1955 to the present, with the different types demonstrating the continuous advancement of tank weaponry. The first Austrian tank troops were equipped entirely with vehicles of the occupation powers, such as the M24 Chaffee, the Charioteer, the Centurion and the AMX-13. The museum is located in Vienna's Arsenal, in the Landstraße district, not far from the Belvedere palace.