Porsche 597 Jagdwagen (1957) at the Technik Museum Sinsheim (Germany)
The Porsche 597 Jagdwagen, roughly translated as "hunting car", was a light military vehicle, designed to fill the same general role as the Jeep, Kübelwagen and Land-Rover. Originally developed as a prototype for a tender to the German Army after World War II, the car never reached mass production after the DKW Munga was chosen over it for reasons of economics. The car was propelled by an induced air-cooled flat-four taken from the Porsche 356, located in the rear of the vehicle like the Volkswagens (VWs) and Porsches of the period; first in an amended version of the 1.5 litre, with a later bump to 1.6 in the l-model. This engine had an output of around 37 kW (50 HP). Together with a vehicle weight of 990 kilograms a maximum speed of around 100 km/h (about xxx mph) could be achieved. For transmission, a 5-speed manual box with additional on-the-fly two/four wheel drive shifter was provided. The prototype body of the car was manufactured by Porsche's own Stuttgart Body Works with later versions (stabilized with torsion bars) coming from Karmann coachworks. The monocoque shell came with no doors and high sills, meaning passengers needed to climb over them to enter and exit the vehicle; The upside of this design being that the body was buoyant and amphibious. Later versions of the body came with rigid doors and exhibit a more steeply dropping angle to the front wings/fenders and bonnet–hood. A total of 71 Porsche 597s were manufactured, between 1955 and 1958, 49 of which were built for the civilian market. Development costs for the vehicle amounted to approximately 1.8 million Deutsche Mark. In August 1959, there were still hopes within the Porsche company to produce an updated vehicle based on the 597 platform with a strengthened chassis, extended wheelbase that could be made available in five different body-styles. However, the project was eventually cancelled, and the new vehicle never saw the light of day.
The Technik Museum Sinsheim (Sinsheim Museum of Technology) is a technology museum with a strong emphasis on motorized means of transport.
It has been located in the town of Sinsheim (south-east of Heidelberg) in the German state of Baden-Württemberg since its opening in 1981. The two supersonic airliners Concorde and Tupolev Tu-144, which are standing together, are the most striking attraction, but the museum has several collections. The collection includes: aircraft, classic vintage cars, racing- and classic motorcycles, racy sports cars, Formula One legends, extensive militaria, mechanical, rarities and fashions. The museum was founded by car enthusiasts, with the entrepreneur Eberhard Layher as initiator. In addition, the museum also features an IMAX 3D cinema with state-of-the-art 4K technology and a 22x27 metre (about 72x88 ft) projection screen. The museum is connected to the Technik Museum Speyer (Speyer Museum of Technology) in the city of Speyer, which is 34 kilometres (21 mi) to the west.