Home /

#7042 Lancia Stratos (1976)

20160530-079 Lancia Stratos (1976) Technik Museum Sinsheim DE.jpg #7043 Lancia Stratos (1976)Thumbnails#7041 Mercedes-Benz 770K Cabriolet (1938)

Lancia Stratos (1976) at the Technik Museum Sinsheim (Germany)

The Lancia Stratos HF (Tipo 829), widely and more known simply as Lancia Stratos, is a sports car and rally car made by Italian car manufacturer Lancia. The HF stands for High Fidelity. It was a very successful rally car, winning the World Rally Championship in 1974, 1975 and 1976; and race car winning 1974 Targa Florio, five times the Tour de France Automobile and three editions of Giro d'Italia automobilistico. It started a new era in rallying as it was the first car designed from scratch for this kind of competition. The three leading men behind the entire rallying project were Lancia team manager Cesare Fiorio, British racer/engineer Mike Parkes and factory rally driver Sandro Munari, with Bertone's Designer Marcello Gandini taking a personal interest in designing and producing the bodywork. A dedicated calculations engineer from Lancia was tasked with performing calculations on many of the chassis, steering, suspension and engine components: Nicola Materazzi. Lancia undertook extensive testing with the Stratos and raced the car in several racing events where Group 5 prototypes were allowed during the 1972 and 1973 seasons. Production of the 500 cars required for homologation in Group 4 commenced in 1973 and the Stratos was homologated for the 1974 World Rally Championship season. The Ferrari Dino V6 engine was phased out in 1974, but 500 engines - among the last examples built - were delivered to Lancia. Production ended in 1975, when it was thought that only 492 were made (for the 1976 season, the Group 4 production requirement was reduced to 400 in 24 months). The manufacturer of the car was Bertone in Turin, with final assembly by Lancia at the Chivasso plant. The above Lancia Stratos was built in 1976 for the Group 4 (Gruppe 4) Rally Car catogory.

The Technik Museum Sinsheim (Sinsheim Museum of Technology) is a technology museum with a strong emphasis on motorized means of transport.
It has been located in the town of Sinsheim (south-east of Heidelberg) in the German state of Baden-Württemberg since its opening in 1981. The two supersonic airliners Concorde and Tupolev Tu-144, which are standing together, are the most striking attraction, but the museum has several collections. The collection includes: aircraft, classic vintage cars, racing- and classic motorcycles, racy sports cars, Formula One legends, extensive militaria, mechanical, rarities and fashions. The museum was founded by car enthusiasts, with the entrepreneur Eberhard Layher as initiator. In addition, the museum also features an IMAX 3D cinema with state-of-the-art 4K technology and a 22x27 metre (about 72x88 ft) projection screen. The museum is connected to the Technik Museum Speyer (Speyer Museum of Technology) in the city of Speyer, which is 34 kilometres (21 mi) to the west.

Author
Matthijs van Wageningen
Created on
Monday 30 May 2016
Dimensions
2400*1600
Visits
6
Rating score
no rate
Rate this photo