#7041 Mercedes-Benz 770K Cabriolet (1938)
Mercedes-Benz 770K Cabriolet (1938) at the Technik Museum Sinsheim (Germany)
The Mercedes-Benz 770, also known as the "Großer Mercedes" (Grand Mercedes), was a large luxury car built by Mercedes-Benz from 1930 to 1943.
It is probably best known from its use by Axis leaders before and during World War II, including Adolf Hitler, Paul von Hindenburg, Hermann Göring, Heinrich Himmler, Reinhard Heydrich, Francisco Franco and Benito Mussolini, many of which were captured in archival footage. The 770 was substantially revised in 1938, resulting in the new internal designation of W150. The all-new chassis was made with oval section tubes and was suspended from coil springs all around, with independent suspension at front and a 'De Dion' axle at the rear. Hydraulic brakes were fitted, compared to the servo-assisted mechanical brakes of the prior series. In 1938, the huge W150 was understood to have been the most expensive German passenger car for sale up to that time, though it appeared on no price list: the price was published merely as "auf Anfrage" (upon request). A total of 88 vehicles of the Mercedes-Benz W150-series were built at the Sindelfingen plant between 1938 and June 1943, with the last one delivered in March 1944.
The Mercedes-Benz 770K (W150), also known as Hitler's Panzerwagen (Hitler's Armoured Car), on exhibit in the Technik Museum Sinsheim was delivered to the Reichskanzlei (Reich Chancellery or Chancellor of Germany) in 1938 to serve for representation purposes. Technologically, the massive automobile that was employed in many parades of the time, was absolutely state-of-the-art. So did the design of the chassis e.g. employ various developments derived from the construction of racing cars. To protect passengers from assassination attempts the car had a mine-proof armour clad floor. In addition, it was equipped with windowpanes composed of several centimetres of bullet-proof glass armoured doors as well as a retractable armour plate behind the rear seats. Where in the nature of things the cabrio soft top has no possibilities to be armoured. This circumstance, as well as the fact that e.g. Hitler mostly drove with the top down, and in addition to that liked to stand in an upright position, one may wonder what was the use of the protective parts, which in this case were only effective below the waist. The car was propelled by a colossal 8-cylinder supercharged in-line engine with a displacement of 7.6 litres which produced an output of 230 hp already at a mere 3200 rpm. In spite of the enormous weight caused by the massive armouring this enabled the car to reach a maximum speed of 140 km/h (about 87 mph), no less.
The Technik Museum Sinsheim (Sinsheim Museum of Technology) is a technology museum with a strong emphasis on motorized means of transport.
It has been located in the town of Sinsheim (south-east of Heidelberg) in the German state of Baden-Württemberg since its opening in 1981. The two supersonic airliners Concorde and Tupolev Tu-144, which are standing together, are the most striking attraction, but the museum has several collections. The collection includes: aircraft, classic vintage cars, racing- and classic motorcycles, racy sports cars, Formula One legends, extensive militaria, mechanical, rarities and fashions. The museum was founded by car enthusiasts, with the entrepreneur Eberhard Layher as initiator. In addition, the museum also features an IMAX 3D cinema with state-of-the-art 4K technology and a 22x27 metre (about 72x88 ft) projection screen. The museum is connected to the Technik Museum Speyer (Speyer Museum of Technology) in the city of Speyer, which is 34 kilometres (21 mi) to the west.
- Matthijs van Wageningen
- Created on
- Monday 30 May 2016
- armoured car, Cabriolet, car, Germany, Grand Mercedes, Großer Mercedes, Grosse Mercedes, Mercedes, Mercedes-Benz, museum, Panzerwagen, Sinsheim, Sinsheim Museum of Technology, Technik Museum Sinsheim, W150
- Rating score
- no rate
- Rate this photo