Home /

#7040 Mercedes-Benz 600 (1972)

20160530-077 Mercedes-Benz 600 (1972) Technik Museum Sinsheim DE.jpg #7041 Mercedes-Benz 770K Cabriolet (1938)Thumbnails#7039 Lamborghini 350 GT (1964)

Mercedes-Benz 600 (1972) at the Technik Museum Sinsheim (Germany)

The Mercedes-Benz 600 (W100) was a line of ultra-luxury cars produced by Mercedes-Benz from 1963 to 1981. The forerunner of the modern Maybach marque, the 600 "Grosse Mercedes" (Grand Mercedes) succeeded the Type 300d "Adenauer" as the company's flagship model. It was positioned well above the 300-series Mercedes-Benz W112 in price, amenities, and status. Its few competitors included British and American equivalents from Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lincoln, Cadillac, and Imperial. Generally, the short-wheelbase (SWB) models were designed to be owner-driven, whereas the long-wheelbase (LWB) and limousine models, often incorporating a central divider with power window, were intended for chauffeur operation. The 600 came in two main variants, a short wheelbase 4-door saloon, available with a power divider window separating the front seats from the rear bench seat, although most were built without this feature. And the long wheelbase 4-door "Pullman" limousine (with two additional rear-facing seats separated from the driver compartment by a power divider window, of which 304 were built), which also came as a 6-door limousine (with two forward-facing jump-seats at the middle two doors and a rear bench-seat). Also a number of the limousines were made as "Landaulet", with a convertible top over the rear passenger compartment. Production began in 1964 and continued through to 1981. During this time, production totalled 2677 units, comprising 2190 Saloons, 304 Pullmans, 124 6-door Pullmans and 59 Landaulets. The above Mercedes-Benz 600, sitting low until the engine re-supplies the self-levelling air suspension, was built in 1972 finished in a Grey exterior and a Brown leather interior.

The Technik Museum Sinsheim (Sinsheim Museum of Technology) is a technology museum with a strong emphasis on motorized means of transport.
It has been located in the town of Sinsheim (south-east of Heidelberg) in the German state of Baden-Württemberg since its opening in 1981. The two supersonic airliners Concorde and Tupolev Tu-144, which are standing together, are the most striking attraction, but the museum has several collections. The collection includes: aircraft, classic vintage cars, racing- and classic motorcycles, racy sports cars, Formula One legends, extensive militaria, mechanical, rarities and fashions. The museum was founded by car enthusiasts, with the entrepreneur Eberhard Layher as initiator. In addition, the museum also features an IMAX 3D cinema with state-of-the-art 4K technology and a 22x27 metre (about 72x88 ft) projection screen. The museum is connected to the Technik Museum Speyer (Speyer Museum of Technology) in the city of Speyer, which is 34 kilometres (21 mi) to the west.

Author
Matthijs van Wageningen
Created on
Monday 30 May 2016
Dimensions
2400*1600
Visits
7
Rating score
no rate
Rate this photo