Home /

#7035 DMC DeLorean (1981)

20160530-072 DMC DeLorean (1981) Technik Museum Sinsheim DE.jpg #7036 Benetton - Benetton-Renault B195 (1995)Thumbnails#7034 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (1959)

DMC DeLorean (1981) at the Technik Museum Sinsheim (Germany)

The DMC DeLorean, often referred to as the "DeLorean", is a rear-engine, two-door, two-passenger sports car manufactured and marketed by John DeLorean's DeLorean Motor Company (DMC) for the American market from 1981 to 1983 - ultimately the only car brought to market by the fledgling company. The DeLorean is sometimes referred to by its internal DMC designation, DMC-12. However, the DMC-12 name was never used in sales or marketing material for the production model. Designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro and noted for its gull-wing doors and brushed stainless-steel outer body panels, the sports car was also noted for a lack of power and performance incongruous with its looks and price. In March 1981, serial production of this classic began in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland, and its body, made of unpainted stainless steel, is still unique today. Initial sales went very well, but in 1982 they declined dramatically and forced DeLorean to look for financial support – unfortunately without success. In 1983, DeLorean Motor Company had to file for bankruptcy. Between 1981 and 1983, it produced about 8600 cars, and an estimated 6500 DeLoreans are still on the road today.

The DeLorean became legendary as a time machine in the science fiction trilogy "Back to the Future", where it was the third leading actor alongside Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd. The vehicle achieved cult status and became pretty much the epitome of 80s pop culture, and the dream car of all men over 30. As a result, DeLoreans repeatedly made "guest appearances" in numerous other Hollywood productions, TV shows and music videos.

The Technik Museum Sinsheim (Sinsheim Museum of Technology) is a technology museum with a strong emphasis on motorized means of transport.
It has been located in the town of Sinsheim (south-east of Heidelberg) in the German state of Baden-Württemberg since its opening in 1981. The two supersonic airliners Concorde and Tupolev Tu-144, which are standing together, are the most striking attraction, but the museum has several collections. The collection includes: aircraft, classic vintage cars, racing- and classic motorcycles, racy sports cars, Formula One legends, extensive militaria, mechanical, rarities and fashions. The museum was founded by car enthusiasts, with the entrepreneur Eberhard Layher as initiator. In addition, the museum also features an IMAX 3D cinema with state-of-the-art 4K technology and a 22x27 metre (about 72x88 ft) projection screen. The museum is connected to the Technik Museum Speyer (Speyer Museum of Technology) in the city of Speyer, which is 34 kilometres (21 mi) to the west.

Author
Matthijs van Wageningen
Created on
Monday 30 May 2016
Dimensions
2400*1600
Visits
5
Rating score
no rate
Rate this photo