Home /

#7017 Air France - Vickers Viscount 708 (F-BGNU)

20160530-062 Air France - Vickers Viscount 708 (F-BGNU) Technik Museum Sinsheim DE.jpg #7018 Aeroflot - Tupolev Tu-144D (CCCP-77112)Thumbnails#7016 Aeroflot - Tupolev Tu-144D (CCCP-77112)

Vickers Viscount 708 (F-BGNU) as used by Air France at the Technik Museum Sinsheim (Germany)

The Vickers Viscount is a British medium-range turboprop airliner first flown in 1948 by Vickers-Armstrongs. A design requirement from the Brabazon Committee, it entered service in 1953 and was the first turboprop-powered airliner. The Viscount was well received by the public for its cabin conditions, which included pressurisation, reductions in vibration and noise, and panoramic windows. It became one of the most successful and profitable of the first post-war transport aircraft; 445 Viscounts were built for a range of international customers, including in North America. The V708 variant is the production aircraft for Air France with Dart 505s (later Dart 506s) and 49 seats, 12 built, first delivered in May 1953.

The Technik Museum Sinsheim (Sinsheim Museum of Technology) is a technology museum with a strong emphasis on motorized means of transport.
It has been located in the town of Sinsheim (south-east of Heidelberg) in the German state of Baden-Württemberg since its opening in 1981. The two supersonic airliners Concorde and Tupolev Tu-144, which are standing together, are the most striking attraction, but the museum has several collections. The collection includes: aircraft, classic vintage cars, racing- and classic motorcycles, racy sports cars, Formula One legends, extensive militaria, mechanical, rarities and fashions. The museum was founded by car enthusiasts, with the entrepreneur Eberhard Layher as initiator. In addition, the museum also features an IMAX 3D cinema with state-of-the-art 4K technology and a 22x27 metre (about 72x88 ft) projection screen. The museum is connected to the Technik Museum Speyer (Speyer Museum of Technology) in the city of Speyer, which is 34 kilometres (21 mi) to the west.