The Historic Lift, also known as Ostrau Lift or Bad Schandau Elevator, at Bad Schandau (Germany)
The Historic Lift is a perfect opportunity to quickly and easily reach the "Ostrauer Scheibe" and enjoy the stunning panorama view over the Elbe valley.
Access to the lift is via a barrier-free ramp. The prices and schedule can be found on the homepage of the city of Bad Schandau.
The Bad Schandau Elevator (also known as the Ostrau Lift) is a passenger truss-tower elevator built in 1904 at Bad Schandau, a spa town in Saxony, Germany. And leads from Bad Schandau to the Ostrauer Scheibe, a flat area around the Ostrau district. The local hotelier Rudolf Sendig suggested the construction and financed it from his personal fortune. The elevator was manufactured by August Kühnscherf & Söhne and inaugurated on Holy Saturday in 1905. The height of the elevator is 52.6 metres (173 ft), in an Art Nouveau design and manufactured by the company Kelle & Hildebrandt in Großluga (a suburb in Dresden), which is 5.2 metres (17 feet) in diameter at the ground and about 2.5 metres (8.2 feet) at the height of the exit. On the way upward it overcomes a difference in height of 47.76 metres (156.7 ft). There is a viewing platform at the top exit and is connected to the top of the rock face by a 27.80 metres (91.2 ft) long bridge. The elevator was driven by direct current from the beginning until 1921. During the winter and in emergencies, electricity was originally provided by a battery. During World War I (1914 – 1918), the facility was shut down. In 1921 the drive of the Bad Schandau Elevator were changed to three-phase alternating current, a hand crank remained for emergency operation. In 1950 a Koepe hoist, also known as friction hoist, was introduced. In 1954 the Bad Schandau Elevator was declared a National Monument. In 1961 two additional anchoring wires were attached and in 1978 a new control system was installed. The facility was renovated in 1989/1990.
The Saxon Switzerland National Park (Nationalpark Sächsische Schweiz) is a National Park in the German Free State of Saxony (Freistaat Sachsen), near the Saxon capital Dresden. It covers two areas of 93.5 km² (36.1 mi²) in the heart of the German part of the Elbe Sandstone Mountains, which is often called Saxon Switzerland (Sächsische Schweiz). The National Park adjoins Bohemian Switzerland (České Švýcarsko) National Park in the Czech Republic.