North American F-86K Sabre (JD-249) as used by the German Air Force (Luftwaffe) at the Luftwaffenmuseum, Berlin-Gatow (Germany)
The North American F-86D Sabre, sometimes called the "Sabre Dog", was a transonic jet all-weather interceptor of the United States Air Force and others. Based on North American's F-86 Sabre day fighter, the F-86D had only 25 percent commonality with other Sabre variants, with a larger fuselage, larger afterburner engine, and a distinctive nose radome. The F-86K is the NATO version of the F-86D; MG-4 fire control system; four 20 mm M24A1 cannon with 132 rounds per gun; APG-37 radar. 120 were built by North American, 221 were assembled by Fiat. The German Air Force (Luftwaffe) received 88 F-86Ks between 22 July 1957 and 23 June 1958. The Ks were assigned to Jagdgeschwader 75 (75th Fighter Wing) in Neuburg an der Donau. In May 1961 the Jagdgeschwader 75 was renamed Jagdgeschwader 74 (74th Fighter Wing). From 1964 the F-86K Sabre was replaced by the Lockheed F-104G Starfighter and the last F-86K flew in 1966.
The Luftwaffenmuseum, now known as the Militärhistorisches Museum (MHM) der Bundeswehr - Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow
(Bundeswehr Museum of Military History - Berlin-Gatow Airfield), is the Berlin branch of the Bundeswehr Military History Museum. The museum acts as an independent military department. Entrance to the museum is free. The museum is in Berlin at a former Luftwaffe and Royal Air Force (RAF) airfield, RAF Gatow. The focus is on military history, particularly the history of the post-war German Air Force. The museum has a collection of more than 200.000 items, including 155 aeroplanes, 5.000 uniforms and 30.000 books. There are also displays (including aeroplanes) on the history of the airfield when it was used by the RAF. Although there are also several helicopters and MiG fighters used during the Cold War by East German forces.