Aero L-39V Albatros (170) as used by the East German Air Force at the Luftwaffenmuseum, Berlin-Gatow (Germany)
This L-39V flew from May 1980 to October 1990 with the Zieldarstellungskette 33 (33th Tow Target Squadron) at Peenemünde.
The Aero L-39 Albatros is a high-performance jet trainer developed in Czechoslovakia by Aero Vodochody. It was designed during the 1960s as a replacement for the Aero L-29 Delfín as a principal training aircraft. The L-39 Albatros has the distinction of being the first of the second-generation jet trainers to be produced, as well as being the first trainer aircraft to be equipped with a turbofan powerplant. The type was exported to a wide range of countries as a military trainer. The L-39V (V for Vlečná or Tug) is a single-seat target tug version, equipped to tow KT-04 target on 1700 m (5600 ft) cable. The East German Air Force (Luftstreitkräfte der Nationalen Volksarmee) had a total of 54 L-39 jets, of which some were used for target flights while towing the KT-04 towable target. These flights were carried out by two L-39V (170 & 171) as well as two L-39ZO (200 & 222).
The Luftwaffenmuseum, now known as the Militärhistorisches Museum (MHM) der Bundeswehr - Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow
(Bundeswehr Museum of Military History - Berlin-Gatow Airfield), is the Berlin branch of the Bundeswehr Military History Museum. The museum acts as an independent military department. Entrance to the museum is free. The museum is in Berlin at a former Luftwaffe and Royal Air Force (RAF) airfield, RAF Gatow. The focus is on military history, particularly the history of the post-war German Air Force. The museum has a collection of more than 200.000 items, including 155 aeroplanes, 5.000 uniforms and 30.000 books. There are also displays (including aeroplanes) on the history of the airfield when it was used by the RAF. Although there are also several helicopters and MiG fighters used during the Cold War by East German forces.