PZL-Mielec Lim-5P (091) as used by the East German Air Force at the Luftwaffenmuseum, Berlin-Gatow (Germany)
This Lim-5P/MiG-17PF was originally delivered from Poland in 1959 to the East Germany Air Force (Luftstreitkräfte der Nationalen Volksarmee).
It flew until 1971 as 615, after which it became 091 at the Offiziershochschule der Luftstreitkräfte/Luftverteidigung für Militärflieger
(Officers College of the Air Forces/Air Defence for military pilots) "Otto Lilienthal" at Bautzen, before moving to Berlin-Gatow in 1991.
The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17 (NATO reporting name: Fresco) is a high-subsonic fighter aircraft produced in the USSR from 1952 and operated by numerous air forces in many variants. It is an advanced development of the very similar appearing MiG-15 of the Korean War. In 1955 Poland bought a licence for the manufacturing of the Soviet MiG-17, the basic jet fighter of Warsaw Pact countries. The licensed aircraft was given the designation Lim-5 (an abbreviation of: Licencyjny myśliwiec – "Licence fighter"). The Lim-5P (licensed MiG-17PF) was built in WSK-Mielec between 1959 and 1960. The MiG-17PF is the all-weather fighter version equipped with Izumrud radar, 3 x 23mm NR-23 cannons and VK-1F engine with afterburner.
The Luftwaffenmuseum, now known as the Militärhistorisches Museum (MHM) der Bundeswehr - Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow
(Bundeswehr Museum of Military History - Berlin-Gatow Airfield), is the Berlin branch of the Bundeswehr Military History Museum. The museum acts as an independent military department. Entrance to the museum is free. The museum is in Berlin at a former Luftwaffe and Royal Air Force (RAF) airfield, RAF Gatow. The focus is on military history, particularly the history of the post-war German Air Force. The museum has a collection of more than 200.000 items, including 155 aeroplanes, 5.000 uniforms and 30.000 books. There are also displays (including aeroplanes) on the history of the airfield when it was used by the RAF. Although there are also several helicopters and MiG fighters used during the Cold War by East German forces.