Home / Tag Huey /

#4746 German Federal Border Guard - Bell UH-1 Iroquois (D-HATE)

20110727-060 German Federal Border Guard - Bell UH-1 Iroquois (D-HATE) Luftwaffenmuseum DE.jpg Thumbnails#3004 G-HUEY Partnership - Bell UH-1H Iroquois (G-HUEY / 560)

Bell UH-1 Iroquois (D-HATE) as used by the German "Bundesgrenzschutz" (Federal Border Guard) at the Luftwaffenmuseum, Berlin-Gatow (Germany)

The Bell UH-1 Iroquois (nicknamed "Huey") is a utility military helicopter powered by a single turboshaft engine, with two-blade main and tail rotors. The first member of the prolific Huey family, it was developed by Bell Helicopter to meet a United States Army's 1952 requirement for a medical evacuation and utility helicopter, and first flew in 1956. The UH-1 was the first turbine-powered helicopter to enter production in 1960 for the United States military, and more than 16.000 have been built since. Dornier built 352 UH-1Ds under license from 1967 to 1981 for the German military (Bundeswehr). These saw service with the German Army and German Air Force as light utility helicopters and as search and rescue (SAR) helicopters.

Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS or Federal Border Guard) was the first federal police organization in West Germany after World War II permitted by the Allied occupation authorities. In July 2005, the BGS was renamed Bundespolizei (Federal Police) to reflect its transition to a multi-faceted police agency. This was controversial due to the German constitution expressly granting law enforcement power to the states. The fact that the border guard function was so limited allowed its formation notwithstanding this restriction, however in the modern day it has become a fully fledged police force. The BGS received six Bell UH-1Ds build under license by Dornier and where used from 1968 to 2001.

The Luftwaffenmuseum, now known as the Militärhistorisches Museum (MHM) der Bundeswehr - Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow
(Bundeswehr Museum of Military History - Berlin-Gatow Airfield), is the Berlin branch of the Bundeswehr Military History Museum. The museum acts as an independent military department. Entrance to the museum is free. The museum is in Berlin at a former Luftwaffe and Royal Air Force (RAF) airfield, RAF Gatow. The focus is on military history, particularly the history of the post-war German Air Force. The museum has a collection of more than 200.000 items, including 155 aeroplanes, 5.000 uniforms and 30.000 books. There are also displays (including aeroplanes) on the history of the airfield when it was used by the RAF. Although there are also several helicopters and MiG fighters used during the Cold War by East German forces.


Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /var/www/localhost/bbclone/lib/new_connect.php on line 66