#3755 Austrian Monument at Holzhausen - Leipzig (Germany)
Austrian Monument with typical "Doppeladler" (double-headed eagle) at Holzhausen, a district in the southeast of Leipzig (Germany)
The Austrian Monuments (Österreicher-Denkmale) in Leipzig are four identical, except for the inscriptions, monuments that recall the successful participation of Austrian troops at the Battle of Leipzig in 1813. On a granite base, which rests on a concrete foundation, a obelisk-like structure made of limestone rises. At the front it carries a bronze plaque with the names of the military units, the commanders and a memorial record for the fallen soldiers. Wreaths and garlands made of bronze adorn the sides. On the square end plate at about four meters (about 13 ft) in height stands on a double-headed eagle with outspread wings and the crowns of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, also known as Austria-Hungary Dual Monarchy. The eagle is pointing to the the enemy, in this case to the French-occupied city. At the obelisks are also the year 1813 and the days of the battles highlighted. The monuments were manufactured in Austria and arranged from the end of August 1913 to their free provided land squares in Leipzig, under the supervision of German city architect Otto Wilhelm Scharenberg.
The inscription reads;
Oesterr. viertes Korps
General der Kav. Graf Klenau
Dem Andenken der in den Kämpfen um Liebertwolkwitz, Kolmberg,
Seifertshain, Holzhausen u. Zuckelhausen gefallenen Helden.
Austrian 4th Corps
General of the Cavalry Graf Klenau
In memory of the fallen heroes at the battles of Liebertwolkwitz,
Kolmberg, Seifertshain, Holzhausen and Zuckelhausen.
- Matthijs van Wageningen
- Created on
- Monday 1 June 2015
- Austrian Monument, Battle of Leipzig, Doppeladler, double-headed eagle, Germany, holiday, Holzhausen, inscription, Kleinpösnaer Straße, Leipzig, obelisk, Österreicher-Denkmale, Statue
- Rating score
- no rate
- Rate this photo