Home / Tags building + Dresdner Schloss /

#3741 Dresdner Schloss (Dresden Castle) - Dresden (Germany)

20150601-113 Dresdner Schloss (Dresden Castle) - Dresden (Germany).jpg #3746 Hausmannsturm (Hausmann Tower) - Dresden (Germany)Thumbnails#3735 Georgenbau - Dresden (Germany)

The Dresdner Schloss (Dresden Castle), also known as the Dresdner Residenzschloss (Royal Palace), is one of the oldest buildings in Dresden.
For almost 400 years, it has been the residence of the electors (1547–1806) and kings (1806–1918) of Saxony of the Albertine line of the House of Wettin. It is known for the different architectural styles employed, from Baroque to Neo-renaissance. The original castle was a Romanesque keep, built around 1200. The Hausmannsturm (Hausmann Tower) was built at the beginning of the 15th century. From 1468 until 1480, the keep was extended by the German master builder, Arnold von Westfalen, becoming an enclosed four-wing construction. In the middle of the 16th century, an addition was added in the Renaissance style. After a major fire in 1701, Augustus II the Strong rebuilt much of the castle in the Baroque style. The collection rooms were created at this time in the western wing. The Silver Room, Heraldic Room and the Pretiosensaal were built from 1723–1726 and the Kaminzimmer, Juwelenzimmer (Jewel Room), Ivory Room and Bronze Room were built from 1727–1729. On the outside of the Stallhof (Stables Courtyard), which links the castle complex with the adjacent Johanneum, the Fürstenzug (Procession of Princes) was painted between 1871 and 1876 to celebrate the 800th anniversary of the Wettin Dynasty, Saxony's ruling family. The 102 metres (335 ft) long mural represents the history of the Wettins. Since it quickly faded, it was transferred to about 23.000 Meissen porcelain tiles between 1904 and 1907. The 800th anniversary of the House of Wettin, Saxony's ruling family, resulted in more rebuilding between 1889 and 1901. A Neo-renaissance renovation was undertaken, followed by various modernizations, such as in-floor heating and electric lights in 1914. Most of the castle was reduced to a roofless shell during the 13 February 1945 bombing of Dresden in World War II. The Heraldic, Jewel, Silver and Bronze Rooms were all destroyed. However, the collections survived, having been moved to safety at Königstein Fortress in the early years of the war. For the first 15 years after the end of the Second World War, no attempt was made to rebuild the castle, except to install a temporary roof in 1946. For more than forty years the building stood in ruins, with only the Georgenbau (Georges building) rebuilt between 1962 and 1969. Reconstruction of the whole Royal Palace started in 1985 with the intention to recreate it as a cultural and museum complex. It was mostly completed in 2006, just in time for the city's 800 year anniversary. The castle's restoration was completed in 2013. Today, the residential castle is a museum complex that contains the Historic and New Green Vault, the Numismatic Cabinet, the Collection of Prints, Drawings and Photographs and the Dresden Armory with the Turkish Chamber.
It also houses an art library and the management of the Dresden State Art Collections.

Author
Matthijs van Wageningen
Created on
Monday 1 June 2015
Dimensions
2400*1600
Visits
844
Rating score
no rate
Rate this photo