Home / Events / 2015 Sail Amsterdam (Holland) /

#3510 Portuguese Tall Ship NRP Sagres - Sail Amsterdam 2015 (Holland)

20150819-072 Portuguese Tall Ship NRP Sagres - Sail Amsterdam 2015 (Holland).jpg Thumbnails#3509 Portuguese Tall Ship NRP Sagres - Sail Amsterdam 2015 (Holland)

Portuguese Tall Ship NRP "Sagres" at the Sail In parade from IJmuiden to Amsterdam (North Sea Canal), Sail Amsterdam 2015 (Holland)

The NRP (Navio da República Portuguesa) Sagres is a tall ship and school ship of the Portuguese Navy since 1961. As the third ship with this name in the Portuguese Navy, she is sometimes referred to as Sagres III. The three-masted barque was launched under the name Albert Leo Schlageter on 30 October 1937 at Blohm & Voss in Hamburg for Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine (German Navy). The ship was named after Albert Leo Schlageter,
who was executed in 1923 by French forces occupying the Ruhr area. Sagres is a sister ship of the "Gorch Fock" (now the "Tovarishch" of Ukraine), the "Horst Wessel" (now the US Coast Guard ship "Eagle"), and the Romanian training vessel "Mircea". Another sister, "Herbert Norkus", was not completed, while "Gorch Fock II" was built in 1958 by the Germans to replace the ships lost after the war. Following a number of international training voyages, the ship was used as a stationary office ship after the outbreak of World War II and was only put into ocean-going service again in 1944 in the Baltic Sea. On 14 November 1944 she hit a Soviet mine off Sassnitz and had to be towed to port in Swinemünde (nowadays Świnoujście in Poland). Eventually transferred to Flensburg, she was taken over there by the Allies when the war ended and finally confiscated by the United States. In 1948, the United States sold her to Brazil for a symbolic price of $5000 USD. She was towed to Rio de Janeiro, and for Brazil she sailed as a school ship for the Brazilian Navy under the name "Guanabara". In 1961, through the perseverant mediation of the Ambassador Teotónio Pereira, who was also a man of the sea, loved sailing ships and had been an organizer of the first Tall Ships' Race, the Portuguese Navy bought her to replace the previous school ship Sagres (often referred as the Sagres II). The Portuguese Navy renamed her Sagres
(the third ship of that name), and she is still in service.