Electric Locomotive (E 44 046) from the DB Museum (German Railway Museum) at Leipzig Hbf (Germany)
The Electric Locomotives of the Baureihe E 44 (Class E 44) were the first electric locomotives on the German railway network,
of which more than 100 units were purchased. The E 44 represents a milestone in the development of the electric locomotives, because it was the first time that lead axles and pinion drive were omitted on a large locomotive, also the for many years successful axle-hung motor was implemented. The designed as a universal electric locomotives proved to be very robust and reliable, and influenced the railway traffic on the electrified networks in southern and central Germany from the 1930s to the 1980s. The Electric Locomotives of the Baureihe E 44 (Class E 44, from 1968 Baureihe 144 for the "Deutsche Bundesbahn" or German Federal Railway and from 1970 Baureihe 244 for the "Deutsche Reichsbahn" or German Reich Railway) were from 1930 by the German engineer Emil Berthold Walter Reichel designed and its concept as a multi-purpose electric locomotive that could be put in front of freight and passenger trains, was regarded as pioneering achievement. The first electric locomotives were put into service in 1932 by the Deutsche Reichsbahn (DRG, also known as the German Reich Railway or the German Imperial Railway).
The E 44 046 (from 1970 called 244 046-9) was built in 1936 by Krauss-Maffei in Munich (with Factory No 15549)
and with electrical equipment from Siemens-Schuckertwerke, also known as SSW (with Factory No 3079).
This Electric Locomotives is currently owned by the DB Museum (German Railway Museum) in Nürnberg.