View from City-Hochhaus (former UNI) to the Völkerschlachtdenkmal (Monument to the Battle of the Nations)
with in the foreground the golden dome of the Russische Gedächtniskirche (Russian Orthodox Church of St. Alexius).
The Monument to the Battle of the Nations (Völkerschlachtdenkmal) is a monument in Leipzig, Germany to the 1813 Battle of Leipzig,
also known as the "Battle of the Nations". Paid for mostly by donations and by the city of Leipzig, it was completed in 1913 for the
100th anniversary of the battle, at a cost of 6 million Goldmark. The monument commemorates Napoleon's defeat at Leipzig, a crucial step towards the end of hostilities in the War of the Sixth Coalition, which was seen as a victory for the German people, although Germany as we know it did not begin to exist until 1870. There were German speakers fighting on both sides, as Napoleon's troops also included conscripted Germans from the French-occupied left bank of the Rhine as well as from the Confederation of the Rhine. The structure is 91 metres (299 ft) tall. It contains over 500 steps to a viewing platform at the top, from which there are spectacular views across the city and environs. The structure makes extensive use of concrete, although the facings are of granite. The monument is widely regarded as one of the best examples of Wilhelmine architecture. It is said to stand on the spot of some of the bloodiest fighting, from where Napoleon ordered the retreat of his army.
The Russian Orthodox Church (Russische Gedächtniskirche) in Leipzig is famous for the shining gold dome atop its tower.
The cathedral was built in 1913 and dedicated to St. Alexius. It commemorates the 22.000 Russian soldiers who died
in the 1813 "Battle of the Nations" in Leipzig. The church's designer, Vladimir Alexandrovich Pokrovsky (also knows as Vladimir Pokrowski),
took his inspiration from the churches in the Novgorod part of Russia. The cathedral is a single-dome construction with hipped roof. The cathedral with its traditional Russian style stands out from the German architectural environment. In 1945 Marshal Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov ordered for the cathedral to be fully renovated. Now the Cathedral is owned by the German Eparchy of the Russian Orthodox Church.
City-Hochhaus is 36-storey skyscraper in Leipzig, Germany. At 142 metres (466 ft), it is the tallest multistory building in Leipzig.
City-Hochhaus was originally part of the University of Leipzig campus at Augustusplatz, was sold by the state government of Saxony and is now owned by the United States investment bank "Merrill Lynch". The offices are now rented to private tenants including the public broadcaster MDR,
the European Energy Exchange and the Panorama restaurant. The roof is equipped with a viewing platform from were this photo was taken.