Avro 683 Lancaster B1 (PA474 / BQ-B / HW-R) from the RAF BBMF (RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight)
at the Royal Netherlands Air Force Open Days 2008, Leeuwarden (the Netherlands)
The Avro 683 Lancaster B1 (PA474 / BQ-B / HW-R) is a four-engined, Second World War, heavy bomber operated by the
Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (RAF BBMF) as a tribute to all members of Bomber Command during the Second World War.
PA474 is one of only two Lancaster aircraft remaining in airworthy condition out of the 7377 that were built (the other is in Canada with the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at Hamilton, Ontario). PA474 rolled off the production line at the Vickers Armstrong Broughton factory at Hawarden Airfield, Chester on 31 May 1945, just after the war in Europe came to an end. In 1975 the aircraft was adopted by the "City of Lincoln" and permission where granted to display the City's coat of arms (other side), which will always be displayed on PA474 regardless of what colour scheme she wears. The PA474 shown here is painted to represent Lancaster EE139, "Phantom of the Ruhr" a Lancaster that flew 121 sorties
(a so-called "ton-up" Lancaster). The code letters "HR-W" on the port side symbolize "Phantoms" service with No 100 Squadron from RAF Waltham (30 operations between December 1942 and November 1943) and on the starboard side wears letters "BQ-B" glamorize service by
No 550 Squadron from RAF North Killingholme (91 operations between November 1943 and November 1944).