De Havilland DH.89B Dominie (V-3) as used by the Dutch Air Combat Forces (LSK) at the Military Aviation Museum, Kamp Zeist (the Netherlands)
The de Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide was a 1930s British short-haul biplane passenger airliner. It proved an economical and durable craft,
despite its relatively primitive plywood construction. At the start of World War II, many (Dragon) Rapides were impressed by the British armed forces and served under the name de Havilland Dominie. They were used for passenger and communications duties.
After No.1316 (Allied) Communication Flight was disbanded in May 1946, its aircraft were released by the British for use by the Dutch Air Combat Forces (Luchtstrijdkrachten or LSK). The aircraft of the former No.1316 Flight were supplemented by a number of Austers from No.6 (Dutch) Auster Squadron. On 17 June 1946 this new unit, the No.1 Transport Aircraft Department (No.1 Transport Vliegtuigafdeling or No.1 TransVA) was officially formed at Valkenburg Naval Air Base. The Dominies received Dutch national insignias and their camouflage was replaced by silver coloured paint. Their RAF serials were changed from NF877 into the Dutch serial V-1, named "Limburg", and from NR976 into V-2 "Zeeland". After their use by the Government Flight Service Dominie PH-RAE became V-3 "Gelderland", while PH-RAF became V-4. The Dutch, for obvious reason, soon nicknamed the aircraft 'Dominee' (Reverent). In the period of 1946 to 1950 severe winter conditions occurred frequently and in those periods the LSK Dominies provided the aerial connection between Leeuwarden and the isles of Ameland and Schiermonnikoog.
The 'Luchtstrijdkrachten' (LSK), the forces destined to become the Royal Netherlands Air Force (RNLAF) withdrew Dominie V-3 in January 1952. It was sold to KLM as PH-TGC, which was later changed into PH-OTA, when the aircraft was used for aerial photography by KLM subsidiary KLM Aerocarto. In 1962 PH-OTA was sold to Aero Ypenburg to do the same job, this time from Rotterdam Zestienhoven airport. General Aviation at Rotterdam was the next owner from 1966, but this company decided to sell the Dominie soon. It was used as a plaything in the children's playground of aviary Avifauna in Alphen aan de Rijn until it was fortunately salvaged by the Dutch Air Force. It has been fully restored and is on static display at the Military Aviation Museum (MLM) in its original former glory as V-3 "Gelderland".