The Uhrturm (Clock Tower) of the Hohes Schloss (High Castle) in Füssen, Germany.
Füssen's landmark, the Hohes Schloss (High Castle), sits on a high rock and overlooks the village. The original fortress was constructed
between 1293 and 1323, but was rebuilt in late Gothic style between 1490 and 1503 in order to serve as a summer residence of the Augsburg Prince-Bishops, and consequently combines defensive and palatial features. A key feature of its silhouette is the Uhrturm (Clock Tower) at the northeastern corner, which served as a prison and as the home and lookout of the watchman. From the corner oriel, it was possible to survey the entire medieval town. The other oriel was used for pouring molten lead on attackers, who were forced to approach - via what is still the only means of access - from the rear through the outer defensive wall. Most of the Schloss is now used as offices, but part of the north wing has been adapted to house the Bayerischen Staatsgemäldesammlungen (Bavarian State Painting Collections) and Städtische Gemäldegalerie (City Art Gallery). Paintings by 15th and 16th century South German masters and members of the 19th century Munich School are on view,
but the main attraction is the Rittersaal (Knights' Hall), with its elaborate coffered vault.