Junkers Ju-52 (D-CDLH / D-AQUI) from the DLBS or Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung
(German Lufthansa Berlin Foundation) at the ILA 2006, Berlin-Schönefeld (Germany)
(Internationale Luftfahrt-Ausstellung, ILA or International Aviation Exhibition - also known as Berlin Air Show)
The heart of Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung (German Lufthansa Berlin Foundation) fleet is the Ju-52, a German trimotor transport aircraft manufactured by Junkers. It was with the Junkers J.1 back in 1915 that Hugo Junkers conducted trials with the world's first all-metal airplane. As the first aircraft built in this new design, the Junkers F.13 finally took off in 1919. With the Ju-52, Junkers went on to become the world's most successful manufacturer of passenger aircraft over many years. From 1932, the Junkers works and various licensees built almost 5000 airplanes that were to serve 30 airlines in 25 countries across the globe. Built at the Junkers works in Dessau (Germany), this Ju-52 embarked on her maiden flight in 1936. Initially in service with Lufthansa, she then spent almost 20 years alternating between Germany and Norway. 1955 saw her taken out of service in Norway. Too large for a museum in Oslo, she was sold to South America where she was flown in Ecuador from 1957 to 1963. The end of her days now looked imminent. Mustered out to the edge of Quito Airport and exposed to the elements, she fell into oblivion until an American flying enthusiast rescued her in 1969. Later on, spectators were able to admire "Aunt Ju" (in German "Tante Ju"), now known as "Iron Annie",
at air shows across the States before being purchased by Lufthansa in 1984 and painstakingly restored.