Home / Tag Maria Theresa Square /

#1821 Maria-Theresien-Denkmal (Maria Theresa Monument) - Vienna (Austria)

20051203-17 Maria-Theresien-Denkmal (Maria Theresa Monument) - Vienna (Austria).jpg #1822 Maria-Theresien-Denkmal (Maria Theresa Monument) - Vienna (Austria)Thumbnails

The Maria-Theresien-Denkmal (Maria Theresa Monument) is a huge memorial in the center of the Maria-Theresien-Platz (Maria Theresa Square), located directly at the Ringstraße, embedded in an imperial scenery between the Museum of Natural History and the one for Art History.
This, probably most important, monument from the Habsburger was constructed under the lead of Caspar Clemens Eduard Zumbusch (also known as Kaspar von Zumbusch) in a 13 years construction period. It was revealed ceremoniously in the year 1888 by the presence of the Empress "Sissi". The over 19 metres (62 ft) high and approximately 44 tons heavy monument shows Empress Maria Theresa seated on top of a large pedestal supported on all sides by Corinthian columns. She is holding a scroll with the Pragmatic Sanction of 1713, an edict issued by Emperor Charles VI that allowed women to ascend the throne. The empress is surrounded by some of her closest advisors. Four of her generals (Leopold Joseph von Daun, Ludwig Andreas von Khevenhüller, Otto Ferdinand von Abensperg und Traun and Gideon Ernst von Laudon) are shown on horseback. Wenzel Anton von Kaunitz-Rietberg, the chancellor of state, Gerard van Swieten, her Dutch-Austrian physician, Josef Wenzel Lorenz (Liechtenstein), director of the artillery forces and count Friedrich Wilhelm von Haugwitz, who reformed the economy and strengthened central authority are shown standing near the pedestal. The monument is classified as a World Cultural Heritage. Maria Theresa governed from the year 1740 to 1780 and was the only female ruler of the Habsburg Empire. She reformed for instance the school system and took care of the state affairs as well as of her 16 children.