The Athena Fountain (Pallas-Athene-Brunnen) in front of the Parliament was erected between 1893 and 1902 by Carl Kundmann,
Josef Hermann Tautenhayn and Hugo Haerdtl, based on plans by Baron Theophil Edvard von Hansen. In the middle is a water basin and a richly decorated base. The four figures lying at the foot of Athena are allegorical representations of the four most important rivers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They represent at the front the Danube and Inn, in the back the Elbe and Vltava (Moldau) rivers. On the sides little cupids ride dolphins.
The statues of the Danube, Inn, and the cupids were executed by Hugo Haerdtl, those of the Elbe and Moldau by Carl Kundmann.
The female statues above represent the legislative and executive powers of the state and were executed by Josef Hermann Tautenhayn.
They are again dominated by the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena, standing on a pillar. Athena is dressed in armour with a gilded helmet,
her left hand carries a spear, her right carries Nike.
The Austrian Parliament Building (Parlamentsgebäude, colloquially "das Parlament") in Vienna is where the two houses of the Austrian Parliament conduct their sessions. The building is located on the Ringstraße boulevard in the first district Innere Stadt, near Hofburg Palace and
the Palace of Justice. It was built to house the two chambers of the Imperial Council (Reichsrat), the bicameral legislature of the
Cisleithanian (Austrian) part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Up to today, the Parliament Building is the seat of the two houses;
the National Council (Nationalrat) and the Federal Council (Bundesrat) of the Austrian legislature.