[ stop the slideshow ]

#1799 Karstadt Warenhaus (Department Store) - Leipzig (Germany)

20050711-090 Karstadt Warenhaus (Department Store) - Leipzig (Germany).jpg Thumbnails

The Karstadt Warenhaus is a German department store chain whose headquarters are in Essen, Germany.

The old buildings at the Brühl where bombed during the Second World War and a new shopping mall was built in 1966-68, right on the place where Richard Wagner was born 22 May 1813. It was the modernest shopping mall in East Germany (DDR). On the outside there was a curving windowless aluminium façade installed, which was designed by the German artist and metal designer Harry Müller. The "Blechbüchse" (Tin Can) - so called by the locals due to the aluminium façade - quickly became one of the architectural landmarks of Leipzig. Between 2010 and 2012 the building was demolished and replaced by a new building, with the same aluminium façade installed on the outside. In the new building of today,
still called the "Blechbüchse" but no longer occupied by Karstadt Warenhaus, there are 130 stores (Höfe am Brühl) at
the basement, ground and 1st floor, with 820 parking spaces on the 2nd and 3rd floor and the 4th floor has 70 apartments.