Diesel-Electric Train (SVT 137 225) at Leipzig Hbf (Germany)
The Deutsche Reichsbahn (DRG, also known as the German Reich Railway or the German Imperial Railway) Schneller Verbrennungsmotor Triebwagen (SVT) 137 (Class SVT 137) was a class of streamlined diesel-electric train sets of the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG) and later of the Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB - German Federal Railway), as Class VT 04. With a regular maximum speed of 161 km/h (100 mph) and average speeds of up to 132 km/h (82 mph) they were the first high speed trains in central Europe. Based on the prototype Class SVT 877 there were four different subclasses: "Bauart Hamburg" with two sections, "Bauart Leipzig" with three sections, "Bauart Köln" also with three sections and "Bauart Berlin" with four sections including a power/postal car. Only 33 units were build, of which 13 units were from "Bauart Hamburg".
The SVT 137 225 "Bauart Hamburg" was built in 1935 by WUMAG (Waggon- und Maschinenbau Aktiengesellschaft) Görlitz
(Görlitz Rolling Stock and Engineering Corporation) and used by the East Germany (DDR) government until 1975.
In 1991 this train was repainted in its original colours.