Steam Locomotive (BR 52 5448-7) from the "Eisenbahnmuseum Bayerischer Bahnhof" (EMBB) at Leipzig Hbf (Germany)
Inscription at the front of the Steam Locomotive:
"52 5448-7 1995-2005 10 JAHRE EMBB IM BW PLAGWITZ"
(52 5448-7 1995-2005 10 Years Railway Museum 'Bayerischer Bahnhof' at Depot Plagwitz)
The Deutsche Reichsbahn (DRG, also known as the German Reich Railway or the German Imperial Railway) Baureihe (BR) 52 (Class 52)
was a German steam locomotive built in large numbers during the Second World War. It was the most produced type of the so-called Kriegslokomotiven or Kriegsloks (war locomotives). The Class 52 was a wartime development of the pre-war DRG Class 50, using fewer parts and less expensive materials to speed production. They were designed by Richard Paul Wagner who was Chief Engineer of the Central Design Office at the Locomotive Standards Bureau of the DRG. About a dozen classes of locomotive were referred to as Kriegslokomotiven, however the three main classes were the Class 52, 50 and 42. The Class 52 was a radically simplified version of the pre-war DRG Class 50 locomotive (produced 1938-1942). The simplified design of the Class 52 was intended to reduce the man-hours and skills needed to make it and an adaptation to war-time shortages of materials. Additional design changes gave the locomotives and their crew better protection against the cold winters experienced on the eastern front. Between 1942 and the end of the war in May 1945 over 6300 Class 52 locomotives were built. Additional locomotives were built post-war giving a Class 52 total of probably 6719 units, delivered by seventeen manufacturers.
The BR 52 5448-7 was built in 1943 by the Schichau-Werke at Elbing (these days Elbląg in northern Poland), with Factory No 3726.
The "Eisenbahnmuseum Bayerischer Bahnhof" (EMBB) is also known as "Eisenbahnmuseum Leipzig" (Railway Museum Leipzig).