View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) to the Bayerischer Bahnhof (Bavarian station).
The "Bayerischer Bahnhof" (Bavarian Station) is Germany's oldest preserved railway station, located in Leipzig, Germany.
The station first opened in 1842 for the Leipzig–Hof railway by the Saxon-Bavarian Railway Company (Sächsisch-Baierschen Eisenbahn-Compagnie), later taken over by the Royal Saxon State Railways (Königlich Sächsische Staatseisenbahnen) and operated as the Saxon-Bavarian State Railway (Sächsisch-Bayerische Staatseisenbahn). The station was closed in 2001 for the construction of the Leipzig City Tunnel. It was re-opened
15 December 2013 after the completion of the tunnel. Since then it is integrated into S-Bahn Mitteldeutschland system.
The new station is built directly underneath the site of the former station.
The 170 metre high chimney belonged until 1996 to the heat and power plant (Stadtwerke, former Gaswerke) south of Leipzig, Germany.
From July to September 2005 it was converted to a DVB-T transmission tower and received a 20 metre antenna mast in October 2005.