Home / Holidays / 2005 Leipzig and Dresden (Germany) /

#1774 View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) - Leipzig (Germany)

20050711-066 View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) - Leipzig (Germany).jpg #1775 View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) - Leipzig (Germany)Thumbnails#1773 View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) - Leipzig (Germany)

View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) to the Zentralstadion (Central Stadium) or these days called "Red Bull Arena".

The "Red Bull Arena", formerly Zentralstadion (Central Stadium), located in Leipzig, Saxony, Germany, is the premier football facility in the former East Germany. It is the largest football stadium in the former East Germany and has also hosted music concerts as well as football. It is currently the home stadium for second-division club RB Leipzig but various Leipzig football teams have used the stadium as a home stadium, including VfB Leipzig (precursor to 1. FC Lokomotive Leipzig) at various points in the 20th century (including large-scale European matches in the 1970s
and domestic football in the 1990s).

In 1956, the first Zentralstadion opened, at the time it was one of the biggest stadiums in Europe being able to hold 100.000 spectators.
However, over the years it fell into disuse and was costing the city too much to maintain. In 1997, the city of Leipzig decided to build a new stadium within the old stadium, a modern state of the art stadium only for football. The new stadium was built from December 2000 till March 2004. The Zentralstadion was the only stadium in the former East Germany to host games in the 2006 FIFA World Cup. It hosted four group matches and a round of 16 game in the tournament. A year earlier, it was also one of the venues for the 2005 FIFA Confederations Cup and hosted three matches of the tournament, including the third-place match. From 2005 to 2007, the Zentralstadion was host of the German League Cup final. FC Sachsen Leipzig used the stadium as a home ground from time to time between 2004 and 2007, however they moved back to their traditional home, the Alfred-Kunze-Sportpark at the start of the 2008–09 season. In July 2009, energy drink manufacturer Red Bull took over the license of SSV Markranstädt and renamed the team RasenBallsport Leipzig, in short RB Leipzig. From the outset, the new team outlined their wish to move into the tenant-less Zentralstadion and rename it the "Red Bull Arena". The naming rights were granted on 25 March 2010 and the stadium will be named so for a minimum period of 10 years as of 1 July 2010. On the south side of the stadium stands the 43 metres high "Werner-Seelenbinder-Turm" (Werner Seelenbinder Tower), which served as bell tower at Leipzig Stadium that tolled the lighting and extinguishing of the flame for the Sixth National Sports and Gymnastics Festival in 1977. It was named after the executed Berlin resistance fighter Werner Seelenbinder (1904-1944),
a German wrestling champion at several European championships and 1936 Summer Olympics athlete.