View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) to Leipzig’s Altes Rathaus (Old City Hall).
Notice the construction work at the Marktplatz (Market Square) for the City Tunnel (a twin-bore railway tunnel for the city-centre S-Bahn) in Leipzig?
Leipzig’s Altes Rathaus (Old City Hall), is one of the most important Renaissance buildings remaining in Germany. The city had a town hall from as early as the middle of the 14th century when the citizens of Leipzig felt that a building was required to house a large hall, the council chambers, the offices of the town clerk, city archives and municipal administrative offices, etc. However, the current Renaissance structure of the Altes Rathaus, built in 1556, can be attributed to Hieronymus Lotter, who was a businessman and several times Mayor of Leipzig. It is a beautiful Renaissance style building, 90 meters (295 ft) long with arcades, six gables and a tower. In the 18th century the tower was enlarged and it received a Baroque spire.
With the building of the New City Hall in 1905, the city’s administrative services were moved to the new building. Between 1905-1909,
the Altes Rathaus underwent substantial reconstruction to house the Leipzig Museum of City History. The Leipzig Museum keeps records
of all developments and events in Leipzig from the Middle Ages up to the present time. The Museum is one of Leipzig’s most visited sights.
City-Hochhaus is 36-storey skyscraper in Leipzig, Germany. At 142 metres (466 ft), it is the tallest multistory building in Leipzig.
City-Hochhaus was originally part of the University of Leipzig campus at Augustusplatz, was sold by the state government of Saxony and is now owned by the United States investment bank "Merrill Lynch". The offices are now rented to private tenants including the public broadcaster MDR,
the European Energy Exchange and the Panorama restaurant. The roof is equipped with a viewing platform.