View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) to Leipzig "Neues Rathaus" (New Town Hall).
The monumental "Neues Rathaus" (New Town Hall) is on Burgplatz, the site of the old Pleißenburg. The moto on the gable,
"Arx nova surrexit" (A new castle has arisen) is an indirect reference to the old castle. The enormous, yet harmonious building was built from 1899-1905. It was designed by the German architect Hugo Georg Licht, the leading Leipzig architect and city planner, and involved the participation of numerous other artists. The building which unites Renaissance, baroque and even Jungendstil (Art Nouveau) elements, has a floor area of approximately 10.000 square metre and almost 600 rooms. The entire complex is impressively crowned by a 115 metres (377 ft) high tower with a cupola several storeys high located in the middle of the building. Recently renovated, the town hall is again resplendent in the beautiful light grey of its Rottenbacher Muschelkalk stone, which is quarried near Würzburg.
City-Hochhaus is 36-storey skyscraper in Leipzig, Germany. At 142 metres (466 ft), it is the tallest multistory building in Leipzig.
City-Hochhaus was originally part of the University of Leipzig campus at Augustusplatz, was sold by the state government of Saxony and is now owned by the United States investment bank "Merrill Lynch". The offices are now rented to private tenants including the public broadcaster MDR,
the European Energy Exchange and the Panorama restaurant. The roof is equipped with a viewing platform.