[ stop the slideshow ]

#1756 Augustusbrücke (Friedrich August Bridge) - Dresden (Germany)

20050710-049 Augustusbrücke (Friedrich August Bridge) - Dresden (Germany).jpg Thumbnails

The "Augustusbrücke" (Augustus Bridge, named after King Augustus II the Strong) or "Friedrich-August-Brücke" (Friedrich August Bridge, named after King Friedrich August III) is the oldest bridge in the city of Dresden, in the state Saxony in Germany. It was built between 1907 and 1910. Crossing the river Elbe, the road bridge connects the Innere Neustadt (Inner New City) in the north (right bank) with the historic area of the city in the south (left bank). There has been a bridge at the same location since at least the 12th century. Under king Augustus II the Strong of Saxony, a new sandstone bridge was built between 1727 and 1731. This bridge was replaced by the present, also sandstone, bridge with 9 arches in order to provide a wider opening for river traffic. The plans of this new bridge began in 1902 and were first in the hands of the engineer and city building surveyor Hermann Klette and later by the famous German architect Wilhelm Heinrich Kreis. The construction began in 1907 and lasted until 1910. From 1945 to 1990 it bore the name "Georgij-Dimitroff-Brücke" (Georgi Dimitrov Bridge, after the Bulgarian communist Georgi Dimitrov).


Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /var/www/localhost/bbclone/lib/new_connect.php on line 66