Home / Tag Main Battle Tank /

#1426 M60A3 Patton Main Battle Tank (HGM) - Vienna (Austria)

20050702-038 M60A3 Patton Main Battle Tank (HGM) - Vienna (Austria).jpg #1427 M60A3 Patton Main Battle Tank (HGM) - Vienna (Austria)Thumbnails

The M60 Patton is a Main Battle Tank (MBT) introduced in December 1960. With the United States Army's deactivation of their last (M103) heavy tank battalion, the M60 became the Army's primary tank during the Cold War. Although developed from the M48 Patton, the M60 series was never officially classified as a Patton tank, but as a "product-improved descendant" of the Patton series. On 16 March 1959, the OTCM (Ordnance Technical Committee Minutes) officially standardized the vehicle as the "105 mm Gun Full Tracked Combat Tank M60". The M60 was criticized for its high profile and limited cross-country mobility, but proved reliable and underwent many updates over its service life. The interior layout, based on the design of the M48, provided ample room for updates and improvements, extending the vehicle's service life for over four decades. In 1978, work began on the M60A3 variant. It featured a number of technological enhancements, including smoke dischargers, a new flash-lamp pumped ruby-laser based rangefinder (AN/VVG-2) that could be used by both commander and gunner, and an M21 ballistic computer, and a turret stabilization system. This is one of the surviving M60A3 Patton Main Battle Tank of the Österreichisches Bundesheer (Austrian Armed Forces), as many were sold to Egypt.

The Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) is a military history museum located in Vienna, Austria. It claims to be the oldest and largest purpose-built military history museum in the world. Its collection includes one of the world's largest collections of bronze cannons and focuses on Austrian military history from the 16th century to 1945. The museum is located in Vienna's Arsenal, in the Landstraße district, not far from the Belvedere palace.


Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /var/www/localhost/bbclone/lib/new_connect.php on line 66