The Charioteer (officially known as FV4101 Cromwell Heavy AT Gun and FV4101 Tank Medium) was a British armoured fighting vehicle. In the early 1950s, in an attempt to give extra firepower to the Territorial Army units of the Royal Armoured Corps, some Cromwell tanks received a 20 pounder gun ((84mm - the same as used by the Centurion) in a new but lightly armoured two-man turret. The resulting vehicle was designated as the FV4101 Charioteer tank destroyer. About 200 units were converted by Robinson and Kershaw Ltd at their works in Dukinfield, Cheshire (UK).
In practice the Charioteer was used by British Territorial Army units only and during mid and late 1950s most of the vehicles were sold to Austria, Finland, Jordan and Lebanon. The Austrian Army purchased 56 vehicles in 1956. This is one of the surviving Charioteer
of the Österreichisches Bundesheer (Austrian Armed Forces).
The Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) is a military history museum located in Vienna, Austria. It claims to be the oldest and largest purpose-built military history museum in the world. Its collection includes one of the world's largest collections of bronze cannons and focuses on Austrian military history from the 16th century to 1945. The museum is located in Vienna's Arsenal, in the Landstraße district, not far from the Belvedere palace.
- Matthijs van Wageningen
- Created on
- Saturday 2 July 2005
- Arsenal, Austria, Austrian Armed Forces, Austrian Army, Austrian Bundesheer, British, Charioteer, FV4101, Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, HGM, holiday, museum, Museum of Military History, Österreichisches Bundesheer, Panzergarten, Robinson and Kershaw Ltd, Self-Propelled Gun, SPG, tank, Tank Destroyer, Vienna, Wien
- Rating score
- no rate
- Rate this photo