Originally this Soviet SU-100 Tank Destroyer was displayed in front of Vienna's "Heroes' Monument of the Red Army" at the Schwarzenbergplatz.
The SU-100 was a Soviet casemate-style tank destroyer armed with a powerful 100 mm anti-tank gun. It was used extensively during the last year of World War II and saw service for many years afterwards with the armies of Soviet allies around the world. The work on a improved design based on the SU-85 started in February 1944 and the first prototype of SU-100, called "Object 138", was built in March of the same year. After intensive testing with different models of 100 mm gun Soviet engineers approved the D-10S gun for mass production. This gun was developed in Constructors Bureau of Artillery Factory No. 9 under guidance of Fyodor Fyodorovich Petrov. It was built at the UZTM (also called Uralmash) in Yekaterinburg.
The SU-100 quickly proved itself to be among the best self-propelled anti-tank guns of World War II, able to penetrate 125 mm of vertical armor from a range of 2000 metres and the sloped 85 mm front armor of the German Panther from 1500 metres. By July 1945, 2335 SU-100s had been built. The vehicle remained in service with the Red Army well after the war; production continued in the Soviet Union until 1947 and into the 1950s in Czechoslovakia. It was withdrawn from Soviet service in 1957 but many vehicles were transferred to reserve stocks.
Some exist to this day in the Russian Army holding facilities.
The Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) is a military history museum located in Vienna, Austria. It claims to be the oldest and largest purpose-built military history museum in the world. Its collection includes one of the world's largest collections of bronze cannons and focuses on Austrian military history from the 16th century to 1945. The museum is located in Vienna's Arsenal, in the Landstraße district, not far from the Belvedere palace.