Home / Tag Österreichisches Bundesheer /

#1416 SK-105 Kürassier Light Tank (HGM) - Vienna (Austria)

20050702-028 SK-105 Kürassier Light Tank (HGM) - Vienna (Austria).jpg #1425 FV4101 Charioteer Tank Destroyer (HGM) - Vienna (Austria)Thumbnails#1415 SK-105 Kürassier Light Tank (HGM) - Vienna (Austria)

The SK-105 Kürassier is an Austrian light tank armed with a rifled 105 mm gun in an oscillating turret. The SK-105 was developed by Saurer-Werk (now Steyr-Daimler-Puch) to meet the Austrian Army's operational requirement for a mobile anti-tank vehicle. The first prototype was ready in 1967 and delivery of pre-production vehicles commenced in 1971. The SK-105 is based on a heavily modified Saurer APC. The hull of the SK-105 is welded steel and is divided into three compartments: driver's at the front, fighting in the center and the engine at the rear. Due to its low weight the SK-105 can be transported by C-130 Hercules transport aircraft. The turret of the SK-105 is based on a French design, developed for the AMX-13.
Its gun can penetrate 360 mm of armor. Front armor protects the crew from 20mm armor-piercing rounds over its frontal arc, while all-round protection is against small arms bullets only. Add-on armor on the front part of the chassis and turret is available as an option which provides protection against 35 mm APDS (Armour-Piercing Discarding Sabot) rounds at a flank arc. Some export vehicles were fitted with add-on armor.
All versions of the SK-105 have a 105 mm gun designated the 105 G1. The SK-105 Kürassier is specifically designed for mountainous terrain and has an improved climbing capability compared to heavier main battle tanks. It is estimated that over 700 have been produced.

The Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) is a military history museum located in Vienna, Austria. It claims to be the oldest and largest purpose-built military history museum in the world. Its collection includes one of the world's largest collections of bronze cannons and focuses on Austrian military history from the 16th century to 1945. The museum is located in Vienna's Arsenal, in the Landstraße district, not far from the Belvedere palace.


Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /var/www/localhost/bbclone/lib/new_connect.php on line 66