The M41 Walker Bulldog was a American light tank developed to replace the M24 Chaffee. Initially it was nicknamed "Little Bulldog", then renamed "Walker Bulldog" after General Walton Walker, who was killed in a jeep accident in Korea in 1950. The development of the new tank, T37, began in 1947. The vehicle was designed to be air-transportable, and the desired anti-tank capabilities were provided by installing a long 76 mm gun with an advanced rangefinder. In 1949, with the adoption of a less ambitious rangefinder, the project's designation was changed to T41. Production started in 1951 at Cadillac's Cleveland Tank Plant, and by 1953 the new tank completely replaced the M24 in the United States Army. The M41 was an agile and well armed vehicle. On the other hand, it was noisy, fuel-hungry and heavy enough to cause problems with air transport.
The Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (HGM) is a military history museum located in Vienna, Austria. It claims to be the oldest and largest purpose-built military history museum in the world. Its collection includes one of the world's largest collections of bronze cannons and focuses on Austrian military history from the 16th century to 1945. The museum is located in Vienna's Arsenal, in the Landstraße district, not far from the Belvedere palace.
- Matthijs van Wageningen
- Created on
- Saturday 2 July 2005
- American, Arsenal, Austria, Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, HGM, holiday, Light Tank, Little Bulldog, M41, military, museum, Museum of Military History, Panzergarten, tank, United States Army, Vienna, Walker Bulldog, Wien
- Rating score
- no rate
- Rate this photo