2003-11 View from Völkerschlachtdenkmal (Monument to the Battle of the Nations) - Leipzig (Germany).jpg #1010 Inside the Monument to the Battle of the Nations - Leipzig (Germany)Thumbnails#1008 View from Monument to the Battle of the Nations - Leipzig (Germany)
View from Völkerschlachtdenkmal (Monument to the Battle of the Nations) onto the "Südfriedhof Krematorium" (South Cemetery and Crematorium).

Südfriedhof (South Cemetery) is, with an area of 82 hectares, the largest cemetery in Leipzig. It is located in the south of Leipzig in the immediate vicinity of the Völkerschlachtdenkmal. The Südfriedhof is, along with the Ohlsdorf Cemetery in Hamburg and the Südwestkirchfriedhof Stahnsdorf in Berlin, the largest park-like cemetery in Germany. Visitors to the nearby Völkerschlachtdenkmal notice at first the chapel with its 60 meter high bell tower, which was opened in 1910. The Neo-Romanesque building ensemble, was built on a filled-up plateau and under the direction of Leipzig's building director Otto Wilhelm Scharenberg. It had the Romanesque Maria Laach Abbey in the Eifel region as a model and is the largest cemetery monument in Germany. The symmetrical complex of chapel facilities, crematorium and columbarium blends inconspicuously into the overall picture
and is justified to the main north-south axis of the cemetery.
Information
Author
Matthijs van Wageningen
Rating score
no rate
Rate this photo
Visits
611
Dimensions
1280*1024