Home / Tag Imperial Court of Justice /

#1000 View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) - Leipzig (Germany)

2003-05 View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) - Leipzig (Germany).jpg #1773 View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) - Leipzig (Germany)Thumbnails

View from City-Hochhaus (UNI) to the Peterskirche (St. Peter's Church),
Bundesverwaltungsgericht (Federal Administrative Court) and Cospudener See (far end).

The Peterskirche (St. Peter's Church), built 1882–1885, represents an outstanding neo-Gothic structure in Saxony, and one of the most excellent symbols of the historicism found throughout the German-speaking area. In terms of enclosed space, it is Leipzig’s biggest church with the tallest tower found in the city (88 meters or 289 ft) that dominates the skyline of the southern suburb of Leipzig. A hall church, the Peterskirche follows German tradition, but it also refers to the Gothic style typical in French cathedrals.

The Bundesverwaltungsgericht (Federal Administrative Court) used to be the Reichsgericht (Imperial Court of Justice) and was designed by Ludwig Hoffmann and Peter Dybwad, and construction was completed in 1895. It is designed in the Italian renaissance style and features two large courtyards, a central cupola and a large portico at the entrance. The rich decorative gable and sculptures are by Otto Lessing. After the reunification, the former Reichsgericht building was renovated and became the seat of the Bundesverwaltungsgericht (Federal Administrative Court).

The Cospudener See (sometimes translated as Lake Cospuden) is a lake situated south of Leipzig. It is on the site of a former open cast mine.
The lake has become highly popular with the local population, with long stretches of sand beaches (some clothing-optional, following the
East German tradition of public nude bathing) and with a sauna directly located at the lake. There is also a small sailing harbour.


Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /var/www/localhost/bbclone/lib/new_connect.php on line 66