The Secession building is an exhibition hall built in 1897 by Joseph Maria Olbrich as an architectural manifesto for the Vienna Secession, located in Vienna, Austria. Secession refers to the seceding of a group of rebel artists from the long-established fine art institution. The building features the Beethoven Frieze by Gustav Klimt, one of the most widely recognized artworks of Secession style (a branch of Art Nouveau, also known as Jugendstil or Modern Style). The building was financed by Karl Wittgenstein, the father of Ludwig Wittgenstein.
The motto of the Secessionist movement is written above the entrance of the pavilion:
"Der Zeit ihre Kunst. Der Kunst ihre Freiheit"
(To every age its art, to every art its freedom)
Below this is a sculpture of three gorgons representing painting, sculpture, and architecture.
The Vienna Secession (also known as the Union of Austrian Artists) was formed in 1897 by a group of Austrian artists who had resigned from the Association of Austrian Artists, housed in the Vienna Künstlerhaus (an art exhibition building). This movement included painters, sculptors,
and architects. The first president of the Secession was Gustav Klimt, and Rudolf von Alt was made honorary president.
Its official magazine was called Ver Sacrum.