Pulpit of Anton Pilgram at the Stephansdom (St. Stephen's Cathedral), Vienna (Austria)
The stone pulpit is a masterwork of late Gothic sculpture. So that the local language sermon could be better heard by the worshipers in the days before microphones and loud speakers, the pulpit stands against a pillar out in the nave, instead of in the chancel at the front of the church.
The sides of the pulpit erupt like stylized petals from the stem supporting it. On those Gothic petals are relief portraits of the four original
Doctors of the Church (St. Augustine of Hippo, St. Ambrose, St. Gregory the Great and St. Jerome), each of them in one of four different temperaments and in one of four different stages of life.
Anton Pilgram (also Anton Pilchramb) was a late medieval Austrian (German) architect and sculptor active in the area of today's Czech Republic, Austria and western Germany. In 1512 Pilgram became a cathedral builder of the St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna. There he concentrated mainly on smaller architectonic forms, such as the cathedral pulpit (built from 1514 to 1515) and various relief sculptures.