The inside of a ruined Church at Wachau (Kirchplatz), a district of Markkleeberg in the south of Leipzig (Germany)
In the place of a parish church (Pfarrkirche) from the 14th century, a new church was built in 1865 in the Neo-Gothic style by the German architect Johannes Wilhelm Constantin Lipsius and inaugurated in 1867. Constantin Lipsius was one of the most important church builders of the second half of the 19th century. After the partial destruction of the church in the 2nd World War, it fell into ruin in the following years. It was only in 1995 that safety measures and the restoration of the tower could be started. The surviving clockwork is back in operation, including the smallest and oldest of the Wachau bells dating back to 1465. This place, located at the Kirchplatz, is known as Church ruin Wachau (Kirchenruine Wachau).