The Naturhistorisches Museum (Museum of Natural History), also known as the NHMW, is a large natural history museum located in Vienna, Austria.
The main building of the Museum is an elaborate palace that has accommodated these constantly growing collections, since opening to the public in 1889 as the Imperial Natural History Museum. The opening in 1889 was at the same time as the Kunsthistorisches Museum (Museum of Art History). The two museums have identical exteriors and face each other across Maria-Theresien-Platz (Maria Theresa Square). The Museum was built to house the huge collection of the Habsburgs. Both buildings were built between 1872 and 1891 on the Ringstraße according to plans drawn up by Gottfried Semper and Matthias Carl Borromäus Freiherr von Hasenauer (also known as Baron Karl von Hasenauer).
- Matthijs van Wageningen
- Created on
- Saturday 3 December 2005
- Austria, Baron Karl von Hasenauer, building, Gottfried Semper, holiday, Imperial Natural History Museum, Karl Freiherr von Hasenauer, Matthias Carl Borromäus Freiherr von Hasenauer, museum, Museum of Natural History, Naturhistorisches Museum, NHMW, Ringstraße, Vienna, Wien
- Rating score
- no rate
- Rate this photo