The Johann Strauss Monument in the Stadtpark (City Park), Vienna (Austria)
The gilded bronze monument of Johann Strauss II (known as Johann Baptist Strauss or Johann Strauss Junior), is one of the most known
and most frequently photographed monuments in Vienna. It was unveiled to the public on 26 June 1921 and is framed by a marble relief
made by the Austrian sculptor Edmund Hellmer. The gilding was removed in 1935 and laid on again only in 1991.
Johann Strauss II, was an Austrian composer of light music, particularly dance music and operettas. He composed over 400 waltzes, polkas, quadrilles, and other types of dance music, as well as several operettas and a ballet. In his lifetime, he was known as "The Waltz King", and was largely then responsible for the popularity of the waltz in Vienna during the 19th century. Strauss had two younger brothers, Josef and Eduard Strauss, who became composers of light music as well, although they were never as well known as their elder brother. Some of Johann Strauss's most famous works include "An der schönen blauen Donau" (The Blue Danube), "Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald" (Tales from the Vienna Woods), "Kaiser-Walzer", and the "Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka" (also known as Trish Trash Polka). Among his operettas, "Die Fledermaus" (The Bat)
and "Der Zigeunerbaron" (The Gypsy Baron) are the best known.
The Stadtpark (City Park) in Vienna, Austria is a large municipal park that extends from the Ringstraße in the Innere Stadt first district up to the Heumarkt (Hay Market) in the Landstraße third district. The park is divided in two sections by the Wienfluss (Vienna River), and has a total surface area of 65.000 square metres (28 acres). Scattered throughout the park are statues of famous Viennese artists, writers, and composers, including Hans Canon, Emil Jakob Schindler, Johann Strauss II, Franz Schubert, and Anton Bruckner.