The Gustavus Adolphus Chapel (Gustav-Adolf-Kapelle) at Lützen, approximately 20 km (12 mi) southwest of Leipzig (Germany)
The Gustavus Adolphus Memorial near Lützen is part of a memorial site, which is said to commemorate the Swedish King Gustav II Adolf, who fell here in 1632 at the Battle of Lützen. It originally consisted only of, the so-called Sweden Stone (Schwedenstein), a granite boulder set after the battle on the site where Gustavus Adolphus body was found. In 1833 the Prussian architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel designed a cast-iron canopy, which was built in 1837 and has since covered the stone. The neighbouring Gustavus Adolphus chapel was endowed by the Swedish consul
Oskar Ekman to Germany in 1907. Later, the memorial was completed by two Swedish wooden houses. The 1632 Battle of Lützen was part
of the Thirty Years' War. King Gustav II Adolf led Sweden to victory against the Habsburg army, but died on the battlefield.
Gustav II Adolf (1594–1632), widely known in English by his Latinised name Gustavus Adolphus, was the King of Sweden from 1611 to 1632
who is credited for the founding of Sweden as a great power. He led Sweden to military supremacy during the Thirty Years' War, helping to determine the political as well as the religious balance of power in Europe. He was formally and posthumously given the name Gustavus Adolphus the Great by the Riksdag of the Estates in 1634. The fallen king is remembered every year in Sweden, on Gustavus Adolphus Day (Gustav Adolfsdagen)
the 6 November, with serene celebrations and special pastries.