View from St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom) North Tower (Nordturm) to one of the Roman Towers (Heidentürme) and the city centre behind it.
The north tower (Nordturm) was originally intended to mirror the south tower (Südturm or better known as "Steffl"),
but the design proved too ambitious, considering the era of Gothic cathedrals was nearing its end, and construction was halted in 1511. In 1578, the tower-stump was augmented with a Renaissance cap, nicknamed the "water tower top" by the Viennese. The tower now stands at 68 metres (223 ft) tall, roughly half the height of the south tower. The top of this tower, also with fine views and a look at the Pummerin bell, is reached by an elevator ride. The Pummerin bell is one of the largest bells in the world, cast from a cannon captured from the Turks in 1683.
It rings out over the city on New Year's Eve.
Stephansdom (St. Stephen's Cathedral) is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vienna (Austria).
The current Romanesque and Gothic form of the cathedral, seen today in the Stephansplatz (St. Stephen's Square), was largely initiated by
Duke Rudolf IV (1339–1365) and stands on the ruins of two earlier churches, the first a parish church consecrated in 1147. The most important religious building in Austria's capital, St. Stephen's Cathedral has borne witness to many important events in that nation's history and has,
with its multi-coloured tile roof, become one of the city's most recognizable symbols.
- Matthijs van Wageningen
- Created on
- Wednesday 6 July 2005
- Austria, Cathedral, church, Heidentürme, holiday, mosaic, Nordturm, North Tower, Roman Towers, roof, St. Stephen's Cathedral, Stephansdom, tiles, tower, Vienna, view, Wien
- Rating score
- no rate
- Rate this photo